Copying a page and publishing it... BIG PROBLEM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anima3
Expert

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  02:23:01  Show Profile  Visit anima3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I`ve built my homepage now..... it`s done. But the thing is! I want to copy it and edit the texts, and make them my other pages. I've copied the first page, exported it as usual. Everything seemed fine. But then when I transfered all my files to the FTP server the fonts are still all different and everything doesn't work. Looks a lot like when I was exporting my first page but still I have done everything tha I did the first time and it give me those results. Here is the first page:

http://featherlane.com/@Maia/Home2.htm

And the second page:
http://featherlane.com/@Maia/About2.htm

What is happening? Can you tell me how to COPY A PAGE AND MODIFY IT and THEN publish it?

Thank you,
Maia

arov
Super User

Italy
448 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  09:01:56  Show Profile  Visit arov's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Maia.
1)In the second page you have changed the font of text?
In my computer the text in second page is times new roman.
Use arial font for the standard text (standard label) or other international font.
You can use other font with graphic label.

2)Re-export the file and try.

::arov::

Edited by - arov on 27 Feb 2007 09:12:23
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  09:45:24  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello anima3,

after exporting pages be sure to upload every file attached to the page (images, styles, etc).
By default these files are exported in a sub-directory called "files"

Another tip:
I suggest you to create common parts of your site in separate files then include these files in every page using the .dhe file object. In this manner the images used in common parts are reused and the page is slimmer ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

anima3
Expert

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  13:03:47  Show Profile  Visit anima3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arov:

No, I haven't changed the text font in the second page - it should be Verdana just like on the first page.

Davide:

I had discovered that trick when I first started using DHE, and swore to myself I'd use it soon! Thanks for reminding me it existed - that might solve my problem.

Thanks to you both for your answers!
Go to Top of Page

anima3
Expert

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  14:02:45  Show Profile  Visit anima3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide:

Sorry, I just discovered it wasn`t the same thing.....
How do you insert a `Common Part`?

Thanks.
Maia
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  16:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You create a page in which you place that which is part of every other page in your preject. For example the header or your logo.
Uou place all these things on this new page exactly there where you need them to appear and remove all these things form all other pages.
Then you save it with a name and add it to your project.
Let's call it logopage.dhe
Now you open your other pages remove these items which you now have placed on logopage.dhe and then look at the left where you should see a small green square with a white arrow in it. Just above all other tools (selection tools, shape tools, label tools and so on) click on this greensquare and a menu folds open.

There it says on the top item: Insert DHE File ...

choose that and look for logopage.dhe.

Tha's it. Do this for every other page. Now when you export your site it automatically inserts that page into every other page.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

anima3
Expert

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  00:28:59  Show Profile  Visit anima3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

Even if this means I'll have to totally rebuild my site, I want to thank you for saving my life! ;-) OK, a bit exagerating. But you really helped me with that detailed description.

Let you know how it works,
Maia
Go to Top of Page

anima3
Expert

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  00:48:54  Show Profile  Visit anima3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
by the way, is this commonly called a TEMPLATE in softwares like dreamweaver?
sounds similar to me!

let you know how it goes. A loooot of work to copy all those images and texts and everything.... sigh!
Go to Top of Page

anima3
Expert

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  01:35:25  Show Profile  Visit anima3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I export a page with an included page, I get a totally white page - apart from the "dsdsdsarwersfdfds" text I wrote....... What's wrong? How do I get it to include the "Home2.dhe" file? And to work when exported?

I know I seem really impatient, but it's the first time I try out a "new" software different from Geocities Free and Dreamweaver (the latter which drove me nuts!).

So help me..... bahhhhhh!
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  09:03:39  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Draw on the page you wrote the "dsadadas" string a "DHE file object" and choose the common file you've previously created

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

anima3
Expert

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  14:06:34  Show Profile  Visit anima3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that part, but what about when it's exported? Thing is, when exported, the DHE File Object won't show up. Only the dsasdsadsd shows up... rest is white.

Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  09:40:34  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See the sample sent to you ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000