Wishes Using Objects - versus - Properties Objects
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

a3s
Novice

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  21:19:34  Show Profile  Visit a3s's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new version of my site www.a3s.nl is online.
I tried to improve the mainmenu and made objects voor short messages and that kind of stuff.
I had to handle with the properties of DHE-objects and the limitations of these objects.
In this message I set out how I did it (improving the menu and making the objects for short messages).
If there are better ways to do what I did, I should like to get feedback on this description.

Case main menu

The whishes I had for my main menu:
- each item in a rectangular with (darkgrey) borders;
- text in black with backcolor = middle green;
- when mousever, then backcolor = light green;
- linking to the right page whith a mouseclick on the whole object/menu item and not only on the text/word of the menu item.

The limitations of the objects were:
- a regular text object has no border unless the object has a backcolor (so setting a border implicates a backcolor wich I can't override);
- a regular text object has no possibility for an event like Rollover of a graphical text object;
- a regular text object has no possibility for an event (for linking to the right page) when clicking on the whole object.

So I combined for each menu item three objects:
- a transparant regular text label;
- a hot spot for triggering the change of color on mouseover;
- a colored rectangular for that change of color (one layer underneath the transparant text label).

Is this the best way, or is there a way to achieve he same results in a simpler way? (I could have missed things)

Case objects for short messages

The wishes for the short message objects (see the green rectagular in the righthanded corner at at the top of page www.a3s.nl/h5mwf.htm). And the messages on the main page too):
- text = black, backcolor = green;
- a small grey border;
- a margin between the border and the text.

Additional limitations (for this case) of the objects:
- when a graphical text label has a margin and a border, the border appears within (and not outside) the marge;
- a regular text object has no possibility for rounded corners.

So I did it this way:
- a regular text object/label;
- underneath it a rectangular with filled color, a border and rounded edges.
At this case the same question. Could I had done it in a better or simpler way?

Adrie S.

T00N
Super User

573 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  22:14:29  Show Profile  Visit T00N's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
- a transparant regular text label;
- a colored rectangular for that change of color (one layer underneath the transparant text label).

Is this the best way, or is there a way to achieve he same results in a simpler way? (I could have missed things)

Instead of using a regular text label you could use a graphical rectangle. You can add a border and use events to change properties AND you can insert text into it.

quote:
So I did it this way:
- a regular text object/label;
- underneath it a rectangular with filled color, a border and rounded edges.At this case the same question. Could I had done it in a better or simpler way?

As far as I know oy can't set the margins for text inside a graphical text box so if the standard margin isn't what you you want it to be, then you're soulution is a good and fast solution.

I try to use as little graphical textboxes as possible because I don't like the way the text is looking when it's converted into an image.
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  09:03:07  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually if you want to make complex graphical objects you can draw many objects overlapping them then choose "Merge sel. Images" from the Tools menu.
I'm working in order to make the "Graphical Canvas" object that will permit to create complex objects with integrated RollOver/RollClick.

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

a3s
Novice

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  22:57:39  Show Profile  Visit a3s's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my post of sept. 24 I made a mistake
The case of the main menu of that post was:

- a transparant regular text label; <---- Had to be a Graphical Rectangle, on that moment;

So I created at that time the main menu of www.a3s.nl with 3 object for each menu item.
Like Toon said, that could better, by using the graphical rectangle.

I have changed it.
Now each menu item is composed of two Graphical Rectangles, with the same text, but the second with different color. The first includes an rollover which triggers the second rectangle for changing the color of the menu item.
Maybe this is also possible with using the event-function for triggering by rollover a style with the right color (light green) for the menu item rectangle. For that I have still to look further.

Adrie S.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000