Technical tricks and "wich list"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

QnnO
Novice

France
6 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  21:18:51  Show Profile  Visit QnnO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Davide,

As i said it earlier, (http://www.hexagora.com/forum/forum.aspFORUM_ID=19), I'm here now with some technical questions and some wishes, too.

(But first of all, I want to congratulate you again for the work you made with Dynamic HTML Editor :
(And this is mostly adressed to people who would read this, in search for a TRUE wysiwig web authoring tool: ) ? Dynamic HTML Editor is the one you searched for (provided that you know what you're looking for :
If you want to build a Flash based site, use Macromedia product, if you want to put text online, with almost no effect, no picture, well..., just simple text, then use Mozilla "Composer", or simply Notepad.)
But if you want to build intermediate-elaborated pages (with event handling, colors, pictures, graphical effetcs, aso.) then Dynamic HTML Editor should be your choice :
It has ALL the features you could demand from an expensive tool, and works the same way they do (drag and drop, edit properties, insert pictures,...), it is strong (never crashed on my PC (Recent CPU with XP up to date (Windows AutoUpdate feature : use it, you won't regret it)), does what it is requested to, uses all "classical" standards (CTRL-C to copy, CTRL-V to paste, aso, wich is a sane, user oriented coding practice) and works really quick.
Moreover, once you've understood how to do things, there are few limits to what you can do with it (one of them being your imagination, i'll talk about the others later...)
So DO NOT HESITATE : download it, take the time to look in depth to the examples provided, try, and try again, until you're satisfied with the result, and I'm sure you'll be.
Such an enthousiasm could appear really suspect. So, to give some "contras" too, here is what was in the first days I used it, my main reproach :
There is a real "blackpoint" : the lack of help. The help provided is really "light", so that you feel really "alone", trying to gess how to achieve such or such effect you'd like to. But if you look around in the forum, you'll see that, once you know what you want to do, you can post your question(s) there, and receive a rapid answer.)

------------------------

After that (rather) long introduction, here are my questions :

Targets :
---------
I wanted some of the links to open in another window. In order to do this, I had to write the url BOTH in the "A Href" and "A Target" fields of the {picture or label} properties box, otherwise they opened in the same screen. Am I right, or did I miss something ?

Objects Alignment :
-------------------
I wanted an object (say a picture) to be aligned on the top right corner of my window, and move together with it if the user resized its browser, but I did found nothing for that. His there a way to do this ? (will there be in the close futur ???)

Visible transparent rectangles :
--------------------------------
I need a visible but fully transparent rectangle (To temporarily "neutralize" a link). But if I set its transparent property to True, its border is then drawn black, whatever be the color I choose. If I set the border's size to 0, the rectangle is no longer drawn. Is there a workaround to this ?

Basic line :
------------
To draw a basic line (say horizontal) requires to draw a rectangle, set its height to 1, its border to 0, its "visible" property to true, and then choose the background color, wich will be the color of my line. Is this the way, or is there a "simplest way" to do things ?

Label (and some other) tool(s) drawspace :
------------------------------------------
Is there a relation between the size of the rectangle we draw using the label tool, and the size of the text we add into it ? It seems that we can add as many lines as we want to, even if the "drawn" label rectangle is only some pixels in width and heigth. Links that are finaly outside the original label space do still function, the text is visible, etc. So : is it important to have that rectangle surround the text, or is it indifferent ?

Labels (again) :
----------------
Are label limited in size ? Is it important to "stop" using one sometimes, and open a new one, or is it indifferent ?

--------------------------------

And now, ladies and gentlemen (and specialy you, Davide...) The "wich list !!!"

(Some of them have soon been expressed, by I want to insist : hope is what make us leave...)

Links.OnMouseOver, menus :
---------------------------
I missed a kind of "dedicated label class or property", something I could set to a label in order to say "I want this one to become yellow when the mouse moves over it, this one to become blue, and this other one to stay unchanged."
(I used as a workaround where needed to make two simbling labels I stacked up, one in one color for the "quiet" state, and the other one in an other color for the "mouseOver" state, with its "visible" property set to false, and change that property at run time, but its a bit boring to repeat it for several labels, and the "A:HOVER" trick touches all the links of a page, wich I didn't want).

Custom colors Management :
--------------------------
Do you think it would be possible, in Dynamic HTML Editor's next release, to manage a "memory" for colorDialogs : it is boring to have to enter RGB values again and again, each time i start Dynamic HTML Editor after I stopped it.
Something like : storing up to the 16 userdefined available colors in memory (either .ini or registry) ?
(And guess wath ? I made half the job for you (well, say a fourth ?, well, ok, a bit less than a tenth... ): here is the code :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q153/9/29.asp&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1 " target="_blank"> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q153/9/29.asp&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1

(you'll have to copy and paste it all, the (url /url) feature doesn't handle it fully, and repeats it (???)...)

"create link" button :
----------------------
Don't you think it would be more comfortable to remove the obligation to click on the "create link" button, in the labels properties editor, when a link has been defined, and is changed : I changed links a lot, and often forgot to click on that dann button, and had to do the work again.

Centering pages :
-----------------
The feature I MOST miss into Dynamic HTML Editor. Has soon been requested, and I request it again : Please, Davide, give us a "center" feature !!!
It really would change everything, allowing us to give a definitely good look to our pages...

Congratulations again for your work, waiting for your answers, (and apologies for the length...)
Olivier.

Edited by - on

n/a
deleted

492 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  11:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You very much, Olivier.

You advices and ideas are very interesting and Davide take care of that!
This type of feedback are very useful in the future development of Dynamic HTML Editor!

Thank You again!

Ciao Ciao De.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  16:58:08  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Qnno,
tahnk you for the big intro and support!

For your questions:

>Targets :
Ok as you have seen...

>Objects Alignment :
There is a methos but I've not implemented it because it's not compatible to all browsers.
I think that witn Dynamic HTML Editor 1.6 you can't do this without modidy the generated code by hand.
In version 2.0 you can create an HTML object without the container and say that it's aligned on the top right.

>Visible transparent rectangles :
In the next version you can create a picture and make this trasparent.
Now you can do this by creating a .gif file with a Paint program, make this transparent, import into Dynamic HTML Editor without resizing it.
DHE will use the original file maintain the original transparency

>Basic line :
Maybe in the next version with rounded rect I can make the simple line object ...

>Label (and some other) tool(s) drawspace :
In version 1.6 the rectangle that contain a label serve only for the horizontal dimension; in version 2.0 you can control the height also.

>Labels (again) :
The limit of the label object is 65000 chars

For the wish list:

>Links.OnMouseOver, menus :
I've already thinked on this but I have not found a good solution yet...

>Custom colors Management :
Thank you for the advice, maybe I can add that...

>"create link" button :
I have already created this in version 2.0

>Centering pages :
This is a big problem; it's not simple as some people have sais to me.
I can't create a layer saying "center" expecting that all internal objects will be centered because every object have 2 coords. top and left that it's not relative to parent.
Relative positioning exist in CSS but it work very different from the absolute one.
Maybe I'll think a trick for centering page using DHTML code.

Regards, Davide

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

QnnO
Novice

France
6 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  19:37:47  Show Profile  Visit QnnO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody,

De :
quote:
This type of feedback are very useful in the future development of Dynamic HTML Editor!

You're right, that was the idea. And moreover, such Q&A can contribute more or less to build part of the documentation, wich is needed for any soft.

And thank you for having answered so quick and thus, animating the forum.

By the way, don't you think it would be a good idea to sum up all the technical questions and answers in a single file (maybe later, when there will be more points) : a kind of big HowTo or FAQ ?

Davide :
Thank you also for having taken the time to give clear answers to all my questions.
I now wait with impatience for the next Dynamic HTML Editor release. Do you plan beta versions ?

About the centering (yes : again ), and after a walk on the internet on that subject, I am to agree with you that it seems to be a big problem, specialy with IE (I mean : I know nothing about it, but people who talk about it seem to find it a real problem...). I however found two places that surely you know, (but maybe don't), that seem to propose 'far from ideal' solutions, but maybe could give ideas to work on :

http://www.sken.be/css/center/
http://tom.me.uk/html-to-css/center-vertically.html

Thanks again,
Olivier.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  10:33:52  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello QnnO, I know very well the object model of browsers.
My job is the programmer of Javascript part in crossbrowser DHTL code specially for IE.
Thank you for the links, I'll see as soon as possible.

If you want you can do the FAQ or the Q&A file because I've no time for that .
You can read the question and answers to the forum and send me a simple text file. I'll mention you as the creator of that file [2 H:)]. Put some informations of you also in the top of file you'll create.

In a few days I'll release a new version that now wotk ok on all Win95/98/ME platforms because is 2/3 times more lighweight.

Regards, Davide

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

QnnO
Novice

France
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  18:40:50  Show Profile  Visit QnnO's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
quote:
If you want you can do the FAQ or the Q&A file because I've no time for that

(argh ! Trapped myself ;-) ) Ok, I'll have a look (at least for the English part. Don't know a single word in Italian). More soon too come...
Olivier.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  20:39:28  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much! [4 :!!:][4 0..0]

Regards, Davide

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000