Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  17:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

It's been a while since I have been here but I came a cross an issue with a mpg movie I have in a website. The controls of the movie only show in IE8 and in no other browser.

How can I get those controls to show up in all browsers?

This is the page I am talking about (the movie takes a while to load because it is ridiculously large)

Regards,

Martin

Edited by - Martin1 on 07 Aug 2010 00:15:11

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  08:42:29  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you used to insert the movie into the page? The standard D.H.W.E. generic movie object?

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

candid
Expert

South Africa
53 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  09:32:26  Show Profile  Visit candid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

I think the other browsers call on Apple Quicktime to run the movie, that's the plugin that my FFox browser is looking for the play it. IE's default player is Windoze Media Player, it seems to be the case.

Cheers - George
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  17:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I use the generic > Multimedia option. Should I try something else?
Go to Top of Page

petran
Super User

Netherlands
345 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  19:50:04  Show Profile  Visit petran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been playing around a bit with you film. First I converted it to FLV with DVDvideosoft converter. Quality is slightly less, but the filesize is reduced from 20 to 10 Mb. Still a big file but perhaps you can still gain some Mb's by playing with the preferences. I didn't try that. Then I placed the FLV videoplugin on a page with this movie in it. Advantage of FLV is that it is streaming. You can look while the film runs. (Just like youtube.)

Just see the example here: http://www.rdbf.nl/baby.html

--------

regards

Petran
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  21:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that works much better and I definately like the fact that the movie was sized back from about 20 to about 10MB. I found it way to big but that was how I got it and I wasn't planning of doing a whole bunch of movie work (that's not in the job description ) but converting to FLV isn't such a big deal (I hope).

Thanks for the help I will give this solution a try and see where it leads me.

I might be back
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  22:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am happy with the result. I didn't scale the amount of mb's back as much as I would have liked to, but now it works fine and I am happy.

I am still however, curious as to why I didn't see any controls in other browsers than IE8.

Thanks for pointing this solution out to me petran!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000