Ubuntu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jan van Londen
Super User

Netherlands
208 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  16:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Jan van Londen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello readers,

I installed Ubuntu (together with XP Home) on my PC. Now I can choose between XP and Ubuntu. Then I installed Wine (www.winehq.org). Then I installed DHE 4. So far, so good.
But when I start DHE, only the splash-screen appears and nothing else. Does anyone have an idea?

Bye, Londen.

Bye,
Londen.

Edited by - Jan van Londen on 21 May 2008 16:52:21

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  20:45:40  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried in the past but the program won't start.
I'm not a linux expert so if anyone has a solution please post it here ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

jtarin
Super User

Russia
444 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  22:27:42  Show Profile  Visit jtarin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you install the latest version of WINE? This page offers several approaches to finding a possible solution.
http://www.winehq.org/site/howto

Davide, you might like to peruse the WINE pages being a developer

Porky
www.pacificwavetour.com

Edited by - jtarin on 21 May 2008 22:29:33
Go to Top of Page

Jan van Londen
Super User

Netherlands
208 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  08:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Jan van Londen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello jtarin,

Yes I did, I followed the instructions on te winehq pages exactly.

Bye, Londen.

Bye,
Londen.
Go to Top of Page

jtarin
Super User

Russia
444 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  14:16:39  Show Profile  Visit jtarin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not all Windows software runs in "Wine". You can suggest DHE to someone on the project and see if they would like to work on getting compatibility between Wine and DHE.

Porky
www.pacificwavetour.com
Go to Top of Page

vocalfons
Practical

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  15:56:04  Show Profile  Visit vocalfons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am trying to do the same, DHE under ubuntu. I already have made many, many attempts.

Dhe doesn't work with wine, doesn't work with virtualbox, and right now I have it installed in VMWARE workstation. Guess what?

It installed! But after opening DHE, another disappointment:

I couldn't open files previously made with DHE in XP.

So I guess I am back to square one now.

Ofcourse I envestigated whether there was any other HTML editor capable of what DHE could do, in Linux. But there simply are no true WYSIWYG editors for Linux.

Mister Davide answered to my questions:"wine has many bugs"
I cannot believe that's the reason DHE wont work.
Becuase it doesn't work in Virtual box nor in VMWARE, is suspect he cut some corners somewhere programming DHE, making it fast but not compatible to basic windows standards.

That's just my hunch feeling....
Go to Top of Page

Jan van Londen
Super User

Netherlands
208 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  17:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Jan van Londen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Vocalfons,

I subscribed to the forum on winehq.org and I started a topic. You can find it here:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1078
I think the answers are hopefull.

And about DHE, Davide is using VisualBasic 6.0. That's a programming language very much oriented on Windows. So I think he not "cutting corners" but I think VisualBasic is too much Microsoft. A collegue said that for .net stuff there might be Linux compilers.

Bye,
Londen.
Go to Top of Page

vocalfons
Practical

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  19:31:03  Show Profile  Visit vocalfons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey that's funny: I have been thinking already about trying to install .net stuff. But I did not succeed.

Lorenze claims, on the hexagora site:

Warning Mac & Linux users
to use DHE you should install Virtual PC/ VMAWARE or other Windows emulation software.

This almost implies it should work. Well, VMWARE kinda works. Except I cannot open files I made with DHE 4.0 anymore.

So backward compatability sucks. I understand now why it doesn't work with Wine. But why it doesn't work with VMAWARE? I don't know.

I really put a lot of time in this, DHE is a beautiful program, but I start to wonder If I am not asking for the impossible...
Go to Top of Page

jtarin
Super User

Russia
444 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  21:20:43  Show Profile  Visit jtarin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have stated VMWARE would not open previously made files in DHE. Did you also try to make "new" DHE files in VMWARE?

Porky
www.pacificwavetour.com
Go to Top of Page

vocalfons
Practical

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  23:29:10  Show Profile  Visit vocalfons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I just did.
Upon saving I get the message:

"80040001 file rename failed"

so opening and saving files doesn't work. And still, I am running a genuine XP professional SP2 in VMware workstation. So I cant understand what goes wrong. Frankly, I think this is getting to be a bit annoying.

since I am on a new kernel in Hardy Heron 8.04, it took me blood sweat and tears to compile AND debug VMWARE and force it to install. Succeeding in actually running DHE made me think I was home free. And now it can start all over again.

Darn, I hate it when that happens!
Go to Top of Page

vocalfons
Practical

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  10:11:21  Show Profile  Visit vocalfons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I installed dcom98 with winetricks.
DHE booting up (finally). But it cannot save any file. So it#347; still kinda useless.

Plus, it screwed up WINE, Reaper doesn display waveforms properly anymore.

Does anyone know how to remove dcom98 and reset wine to it#347; default?

Any help would be really appreciated!!

cheers,

Alfons
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  10:15:44  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ALL,

I personally tested D.H.E. over VirtualBox, VirtualPC and VMWAre and it works perfectly, I had no problems with them.
I test my software on every virtual machine before releasing it.

@vocalfons
I used virtual machines under a Windows Host PC (mine).
I never tested these VM under linux. Are you using a Linux host system for running these VM?

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

vocalfons
Practical

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  11:38:05  Show Profile  Visit vocalfons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Davide,

I'm on Ubuntu Hardy Heron, 8.04 and use the latest version of VMware workstation.

While in VMWARE:
The problem is, that I cannot open DHE project files previously made on XP, nor can I save any files.

While I'm in WINE:
before the wintricks patch, I could not get past the splash screen on starting up DHE. After the com98 patch, DHE starts up very slowly, works very slow, and cannot save anything either.

If you like I could take a video of VMware with DHE. Where can I send it to?
Go to Top of Page

vocalfons
Practical

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  11:45:10  Show Profile  Visit vocalfons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Davide

since the winetricks patch, in VMWARE DHE doesn't start work anymore.

I definitely want to restore COM98 to WINE's defaults
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  13:33:17  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the future, after the honeymoon I'll try to make a version without Unicode Controls because simple VB6 programs work under Wine with no problems. I suppose this is the problem. I'll make some tests, maybe I'll find a good solution ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

vocalfons
Practical

Netherlands
15 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  17:54:29  Show Profile  Visit vocalfons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide, you're my hero! Please keep us posted on new developments.

In the meantime I managed to get it working after all, be it with a few small problems. For anyone adventourous enough to try, here's the howto (thanks to all the contributions:

*disclaimer* this how to is not geek-proof. Try at your own risk, I managed to f*ck up my PC several times doing this. Persistent as I am, I did not give up.

Result: I have DHE running in WIne, alongside reaper.
cons: DHE does a bad screen redraw. So you mightr do things, which are not shown until you maximize-minimaze the window. Plus: wine programs start up veeeeerrrry slow now.

If someone has a fix for those problems, we're done!

Here's the howto:

*disclaimer* this how to is not geek-proof. Try at your own risk, I managed to f*ck up my PC several times doing this. Persistent as I am, I did not give up.

Download and install winetricks at http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

Clicking this link you see a script.

(CNTRL-A, CONTRL-C) select and Copy the content
Right click on your ubuntu desktop
make a new file and call it winetricks

paste the content to that new file
rightclick the file
go to ?properties?
make sure at the ?rights? tab the ?execute? box is checked

then doubleclick the file winetricks
choose ?run in a terminal? or just ?run?

there you see a bunch of packages you can install

choose
dcom98

click ?ok?

Now DHE editor should work

it will start up verrrrrrryyyyy slooowwwww
so be patient

plus, the screen redraws of DHE are sometimes not done, so if you want to see the result of your action, maximize-minimize the window.

If anyone has a better idea on how to do this, or can offer a fix for the aformentioned mishaps, please contact me.

thanks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000