Navigation Menus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jsearcey
Practical

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  16:00:57  Show Profile  Visit jsearcey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At times I build menu's in other software. The software requires that I enter the distance from the top and the left side of the page to place the menu where needed. I then enter the menu code to my Dynamic HTML page via the HTML tool. If I am centering my page, it previews fine on a full regular size screen. If you preview the page on a wide screen, the menu is way to the left. Is there a way to adhere the menu to a particular place on the page? I am not able to use "Relative" setting, since there would be collision issues.

Thank you

Janis R. Searcey

Edited by - jsearcey on 03 Apr 2009 16:03:34

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  08:42:00  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you use "absolute positioning mode" you can place objects exacly on the point you place them ini the editor.
If you "center" your page objects will be centered on the screen.

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

janisrae
Practical

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  16:15:57  Show Profile  Visit janisrae's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide,

Thank you for that reply, but I'm not sure that answers my question.

In the menu software that I am using, it allows me to create drop down menus, but it also has dimensions from top and left side of page. Even if I leave those dimensions empty, it sets the top and left dimensions at "0", placing the menu at the top and left side of the page. I can place that menu in an "HTML" snippet, in a table, in a layer, and make the and make any of those snippets "Absolute" and also "Lock Position", but the menu still wants to appear at the top and left on the page.

Maybe there isn't a solution for this. But if so, please let me know.

Thank you,

Janis

Janis Searcey
Web Development Services . Hosting . Marketing
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok now I understand the problem. I think it depends on the javascript code used for building the menu. Try to post the snippet code you use, if you have also links to the homepage which created the menu code let us know.

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

jsearcey
Practical

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  18:29:20  Show Profile  Visit jsearcey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide,

My url is http://www.noplacelikenebraska.com which is currently using free menu building software. The menu is fine except the software doesn't give me the option to choose "target" and therefore opens my links into "self".

I've been trying out different navigation menu building software. My problem lies in that most of this software, if it gives you options to choose "target" and "drop down", etc., then there usually are .css, .js, .xml, etc., types of files that are needed for the menu to work. I am unable to get these types of menus to work with the Dynamic HTML Editor. It appears that the editor does not recognize objects or commands for objects that are relative to the menu. This problem also exists in other software such as flash that uses objects (.js, .xml, etc).

The most current menu building software that I tried, gave me a code for the .js and .css files and the menu in .html code. After inserting the codes (the menu in the "HTML" editor and the "Script" for the .js and .css files between the "Head" tags, It still does not work. Is there a solution for this?

Here are the codes that I am trying to insert in my webpage.

Between the "Head" tags:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="cbcscbmenu.css" type="text/css" /> (In my main folder)

In the "HTML" Editor on my page:
<ul id="ebul_cbmenu_1" class="ebul_cbmenu" style="display: none;">
<li><a href="http://www.visitnebraska.gov/" target="_blank" title="Nebraska Travel & Tourism">Travel & Tourism</a></li>
</ul>
etc.
etc.
script type="text/javascript" src="cbjscbmenu.js"></script> (In my main folder)
When I open this page in the "View Mode", the menu does not have any images that I inserted but only red "X", and does not function as a drop down or actually does not work at all.

Janis [2 H:)]

Janis R. Searcey

Edited by - jsearcey on 22 Apr 2009 18:40:40
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  09:15:03  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first part of code must be inserted using the Page Properties dialog (Scripts/Header Code)
The second part can be added using an HTML box or a Generic object.
If you want I can make a sample for you, just send me the page and the Menu code on my personal email.

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

jsearcey
Practical

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  13:12:59  Show Profile  Visit jsearcey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide,

I'll send the page and the code, however, I believe what you are suggesting is the same way that I set it up.

I currently have the new menu that I would like to use at the url:
http://www.noplacelikenebraska.com I changed it since you looked yesterday. As you can see, the grapics don't show and the menu doesn't drop down. It lost all of its functionality.

In the menu software, when I request the html code to place into my website, it asks where I want to place the .css and the graphics files. I had the files placed in a subdirectory where my pages are called "menu" and the code in the page reflects this, but it does not appear to find the necessary files to help create the menu.

Janis [2 H:)]

Janis R. Searcey
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  09:01:26  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll check the email very soon

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  09:34:56  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked the page but many files are missing so it is quite difficult to understand what you wanted to do.
The index.dhe file sent to me doesn't have any trace of the menu.htm code inside; only the generated index.htm page so I suppose you didn't send me some pages.

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000