Dreamweaver User
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wickerman
Novice

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  22:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Wickerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone....i'm not sure if this is going to be a contraversial subject, but I am a Dreamweaver user . I have always had an open mind and wanted to find an easier way to design sites very quickly for clients that didn't want to spend too much money. When I found DHTML Editor I couldn't believe the quality of the output when exported to DW. I am at present learning how to design with CSS and am wrestling with my conscience and wondering whether to purchase this product as it seems too easy to use and I might feel like a fraud . I would be interested to see if anyone else has sleepless nights over this decision

Anyway congratulations on such a great product [3 v]

Wickerman

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  23:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Wickerman!

As a long time Adobe GoLive user I also went over and started using this program and you can be assured you won't regret it. It saves you huge ammounts of time and lets be honest most clients have no idea what coding looks like so they won't see the difference, if there is any difference at all.

I haven't lost any nights sleep over it and suggest you just buy the program and move on. I admit from time to time I still use GoLive but thats more for updating old sites I didn't make with DHE.

All my new sites are made with DHE and I haven't encountered a single client who objected about the coding (and why should they there is absolutely nothing wrong with, it's completely w3c compliant). They never ask me what kind of software I use and they never seem to look at the source. These sites are even better constructed than the ones I did in GoLive because now I don't have to worry so much about compatibillty issues.

Big advantage of course is the cost. Dreamweaver and GoLive are hugely expensive and I don't like paying that much for something when I can get the same thing done with a similar program (like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro - huge money difference and same capabillities or Flash and Swishmax - huge money difference and almost the same capabillities) or a less complicated program which give me the same results like DHE.

Obviously DHE lacks some features that Dreamweaver and GoLive have but those are features that are hardly ever used and can be implemented using DHE and an external piece of coding.

Martin

Edited by - Martin1 on 17 Aug 2006 23:22:49
Go to Top of Page

T00N
Super User

573 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  23:32:22  Show Profile  Visit T00N's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought DreamWeaver (only 850 euro's [2 puppy]) and 1 month later I discovered nd bought DHE (50 euro's).

[2 ??:-|]

Guess with what I'm building my sites with now.

DHE is not perfect because there are some things that won't work as I want them to but it so much fub to work with and it's very easy to try something.
Go to Top of Page

Wickerman
Novice

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  23:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Wickerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to hear......so far that i'm not the only one feeling the same. I may still have a guilty feeling using it though. Just have to get over it won't I?? [3 ~-)]
Go to Top of Page

Edigital
Master

107 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  02:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Edigital's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Wikerman!

I?m an ASP programmer, and I found this DHE is perfect for me!, you can see my work at www.constructora-terra.com !!, I build this site in only one weekend.. (And also have discarted badDreamweaver!)

other sites built with DHE:
www.latingenieria.com (1 day work)
www.callehost.com (under const template) (1 hour work)
and also I made some templates (included in DHE) for hosting company, buss. company, etc)

Edited by - Edigital on 18 Aug 2006 02:45:36
Go to Top of Page

Wickerman
Novice

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  09:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Wickerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Edigital,

I'm impressed!!! Looks like I shall be buying DHTML today....
Go to Top of Page

Edigital
Master

107 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  13:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Edigital's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Wickerman!

Yes!, if you want a low learning curve with best results this is the tool. I use my ASP programs with this editor, and also you can start with templates, or samples included. If your customers need the "source code" (for example an advanced customer -programmer customer) and that customer ask you make your designs "in " dreamweaver, or fireworks.. then.. you have to.., other way the most important thing is the "final product".

I remeber when I was using "WordStar" text editor, and then "Word", later "Front page", I think DHTML is the natural way to build web sites.

For example I made reports for a company, with JavaScript using DHTML (no databases). Try implent this reports using "dreamweaver", I thing is a really nightmare!! ..

www.callehost.com/chec
(sorry is in spanish), but you can click in some areas, menus, to see the utility reports month by month

I'm planning to make some another templates.. soon

Best regards ..
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  17:57:21  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In a few days the new UNICODE 3.2 version will be released ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

Wickerman
Novice

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  20:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Wickerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you please explain to me how that will be better than the present version? Maybe i'll hang on and download that version to try first. What other updates apply to the new version?
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  13:50:36  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about the version ;-)
If you purchase one version you'll have free updates for all newer versions ;-)

The new version will have these new features:
- Better theme support for the program interface
- Many bug fixes
- Completely 100% UNICODE UTF16-UTF8 support (finally!)
- New stencil window (with save and loading)
- New predefined shapes window (with save and loading)
- New Filled-Bezier object
- Many other minor enhancements

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

Jan van Londen
Super User

Netherlands
208 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  14:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Jan van Londen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide,
Maybe you can send me the new english.lng file, so I can compare it with the dutch.lng. So I can check it and return it before you release 3.2.
Bye, Londen.

Bye,
Londen.

Edited by - Jan van Londen on 19 Aug 2006 14:35:05
Go to Top of Page

Wickerman
Novice

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  15:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Wickerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Davide,

Thanks for that. I shall be registering very soon. Can you just answer me one question. I am very pleased that CSS is implemented so much in the program, but in the sites I have seen built with this program there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a liquid layout. I need the ability to have sites that expand to different brower sizes. I have looked through the documentation but see no subject covering this with regards to applying percentages the the width of objects to allow there resizing under these circumstances. Is this something that would have to be coded in via the HTML or styles panel?

Thanks in advance

Wickerman
Go to Top of Page

T00N
Super User

573 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  16:23:51  Show Profile  Visit T00N's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont believe it's possible to give a shape a relative size.
Relative in the way like 80% of the browser window.

Shapes are shaved in the way of PNG files so I really don't so how it can be done the way you want it.
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  17:57:02  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Wickerman

sorry but in wysiwyg mode is very hard to implement this feature because some elements cannot be adapted in percentage (like images).
Actually D.H.E. doesn't permit to use percentage.
At the limit you can center your page ;-)

@Jan van Londen

I'm actually working on the program; when I'll finish I'll send you the new english.lng file ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000