Dynamic HTML Editor
 Wishlist for Dynamic HTML Editor 2.4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JazzcatCB
Practical

46 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  19:31:41  Show Profile  Visit JazzcatCB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide,

I do think I'll be registering v2.3. I've looked at many different WYSIWYG HTML editors/site builders, and I like Dynamic HTML Editor the best. But there are some things about 2.3 that I would like fixed/changed in 2.4.

- The Input objects should resize like all the other objects: right and down. In 2.3 they resize left and up.

- It should be possible to assign custom CSS style names to label objects, instead of the default system-generated names (which are semantically meaningless).

- Sometimes it is impossible to select an HTML object in the editor window using the mouse. For instance, if an object is positoned on top of another object, clicking on the object in front will cause the properties for the object behind it to appear. To work around this, one must drop down the object Properties list and select the desired object from there. This is frustrating. It would be so much easier to simply be able to click on the object on the screen to select it.

- When selecting an object via the Properties list, the editor window re-positions itself so that the selected object is in the lower-right hand corner of the window. I would much prefer that it re-position the object in the center of the window. This is because I frequently select an object to either resize it or move it relative to other objects on that page. When it's in the lower-right hand corner, I can't see anything to the right of it or below it without scrolling the screen.

So these are the changes I would very much like to see in the next version of Dynamic HTML Editor. Please let me know if you will be able to implement them.

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  13:40:54  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello JazzcatCB,

Your questions:

1- ??? they work exactly like other objects; I think that your Dynamic HTML Editor has some problems :-(
2- Why? I think that Dynamic HTML Editor should simplify the life, not complicate it!
3- I'm thinking to change the selection type; now Dynamic HTML Editor gives major priority to last selected object;
4- I'm studying a better method to give the focus to an object using the properties window

Dynamic HTML Editor 2.4 already has the ability to choose a background for layers so you can create complicated sites using only relative mode.

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

JazzcatCB
Practical

46 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  22:14:55  Show Profile  Visit JazzcatCB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. My apologies. I went back and tried resizing an input object, and it did resize correctly. I don't know what happened on the occassions where it would only resize left and up.

2. It's a matter of good coding technique. Styles should have semantically meaningful names. If I need to look through the HTML code Dynamic HTML Editor generates, I won't have any clue what text the style tahoma13233A52FFFFFFtb refers to. However, if the style has the name mainwindowtitle, then I know exactly what it refers to. I'm only recommending it as an option to those who want to name their text styles. Those who don't want to use it, wouldn't have to.

3, 4. Glad to hear it.

quote:
Dynamic HTML Editor 2.4 already has the ability to choose a background for layers so you can create complicated sites using only relative mode.

I sincerely hope this is an english language mistranslation, because it sounds like you're saying you're not going to support developing complicated sites in absolute mode. This would make me *extremely* unhappy, because my site is developed entirely in absolute mode and if I understand you correctly, 2.4 won't support it! :( Please tell me I'm wrong! Also, if you're only going to support relative mode, I certainly hope that you have found a way to allow html elements to overlap each other.

Edited by - JazzcatCB on 28 Jul 2005 22:19:23
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  08:47:18  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
;-) don't worry, this is only a new feature... Absolute mode is fully supported as usual ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

JazzcatCB
Practical

46 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  06:07:10  Show Profile  Visit JazzcatCB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide, I'm having some trouble with Javascript, and I wonder if you wouldn't mind helping me? I know it has nothing to do with Dynamic HTML Editor, but if you could just quickly look thorough the code below (look for the comment *** RELEVANT CODE STARTS HERE ***) and maybe you could determine why the indexOf calls are getting an "Object does not support this method" error?

Anyway, if you can help me, that would be great. If not, I understand :-)

fs=Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
f =fs.OpenTextFile(Server.MapPath("100ratings.dat"),1)
//datLine = f.ReadLine;
if ((datLine = f.ReadLine()) == null) {
Response.Write("No data found in "+Server.MapPath("100ratings.dat"));
//return;
}
i=0;
do
{
if (i++ > 9999999) {
Response.Write("Loop exceeded safeguard limit");
break;
}
//Read User ID from text file
startPos = 0;//start at beginning of line
endPos = datLine.indexOf("::");//find end of User ID data
userID = datLine.substr(startPos, endPos-1);//extract User ID data into userID

//Read Movie ID from text file
startPos = endPos+2;//move substr start position past "::" to start at beginning of Movie ID data

//************* RELEVANT CODE STARTS HERE ******************
//ORIGINAL indexOf CALL
endPos = datLine[startPos].indexOf("::");
//REVISED indexOf CALL
var newLine = new String();
newLine = datLine[startPos];
endPos = newLine.indexOf("::");//find end of Movie ID data
//************* RELEVANT CODE ENDS HERE *******************
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  08:43:28  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This server code seem to be very like to Javascript; this is JSP?
I think the problem is the index you'are using in "datLine[startPos]"

You have to use: datLine.indexOf("::",startPos);

The start index must be inserted as second parameter for IndexOf

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

JazzcatCB
Practical

46 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  13:28:17  Show Profile  Visit JazzcatCB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Davide. You're awesome!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000