Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  16:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

I am new here and wanted to know something about Dynamic HTML Editor.
As far as I can tell by reading the website it uses a lot of css (which is a good thing) but does it create html syntax ot xhtml syntax? I wanted to shift from plain old html to css and xhtml and this seems to be the easiest way to do it. But then again I am not sure and don't want to start installing until I know.

Regards,

Martin

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  17:31:55  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mmmmmhhh I don't remember if the code is xhtml compliant or not...
Probably for optimizing output I've removed some "</img>" tag so now it's not xhtml compliant but I'm not sure of that, I've to check this ;-)

But I've a good idea, I can create also xhtml compliant pages ;-0

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  21:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I donwloaded the program and installed it.
First of all I wanted to let you know that although the pages are not xhtml compliant[2 }:HH] (it does look like being compliant due to the closing img and link tag) the program is very impressive. You have my respect for making it!

Making it xhtml (which is the new standard after all) compliant might be something for a new version.

I also noticed some errors in the pages at which you might want to have a look in your new upcoming version, if you don't mind me mentioning it.
>There is no doctype declaration
>The javascript tag misses " and is written with capital letters (<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=javascript>) this should be (<script language="javascript">)
>added to this should be type="text/javascript"
>in the div element there is the name attribute which is not valid there (name is not allowed to be in the div tag)
>in the div element there is the valign attribute which is also not valid in the div element (valign is not allowed in the div tag)
>in the img element there is no alt attribute which should be there
>when you want to make a square on your page it uses a table to do this. This can be done with css instead of html tags like table (the table element was never meant for this use)
>the style attributes are used but when you use these you need to add a default style sheet language in the head like this <head><meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">

These are the main errors and therefore validating problems I found.

Validating a page/site is always important in my opinion. And changing these errors made by the program might be something you want to look in at now you are about to release a new version.

Regards,

Martin
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  14:03:03  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your help, version 2.0 already has these corrections :-)
and it will be W3C compliant...

For the square question I can say you that I've used tables for compatibility to old browser like NS4

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  21:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello s.dav!

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear you solved this in version 2 (which, looking at the version I have now, I might buy [actually the only thing that holds me back is this table issue now I have heard you solved those other issues])
Isn't it a waste of time to use tables instead of css just for netscape 4 users? This is suchs and old Netscape version and is so rarely used anymore. Especially since you added that javascript for those old browsers.

Isn't an idea to make the user of your excellent software choose to use tables or complete css. I for instance would rather use pure css than tables.

Just some food for thoughts. Hope you don't mind (no critisism meant).

Martin
Go to Top of Page

jedisb
Practical

26 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  21:44:31  Show Profile  Visit jedisb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Martin1

Isn't it a waste of time to use tables instead of css just for netscape 4 users? This is suchs and old Netscape version and is so rarely used anymore. Especially since you added that javascript for those old browsers.

I agree with this comment.
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2004 :  12:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one last comment if you don't mind.

You didn't add any blank spaces to the css. For example this is what was made by Dynamic HTML Editor:
style='position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;width:13px;height:221px;' align='left' valign='top'
That should be
style='position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:13px; height:221px;' align='left' valign='top'

Is there any reason you let Dynamic HTML Editor add align="left" (you told me that you removed in Dynamic HTML Editor 2 valign="top" [which isn't allowed inside a div element]) to this div? Seeing as it is already positioned with the css.

The fact that Dynamic HTML Editor didn't add any blank spaces also gives a very strange effect on the styles inside the font element:
<font class='arial1451D0F0FFFFFFtb'>
This way of creating a class is obviously not allowed.

Last question and I won't bother you anymore

Why does Dynamic HTML Editor change the name of the images.
For example when I insert an image called human.jpg Dynamic HTML Editor changes it to Picture1.jpg?

I hope that these remarks and comments helped a bit in making the next version of Dynamic HTML Editor even better than the current version already is.

Once again: I am impressed.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2004 :  15:09:57  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You didn't add any blank spaces to the css. For example this is what was made by Dynamic HTML Editor:
style='position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;width:13px;height:221px;' align='left' valign='top'
That should be
style='position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:13px; height:221px;' align='left' valign='top'

The fact that Dynamic HTML Editor didn't add any blank spaces also gives a very strange effect on the styles inside the font element:
<font class='arial1451D0F0FFFFFFtb'>
This way of creating a class is obviously not allowed.

Why? All go ok!

quote:

Is there any reason you let Dynamic HTML Editor add align="left" (you told me that you removed in Dynamic HTML Editor 2 valign="top" [which isn't allowed inside a div element]) to this div? Seeing as it is already positioned with the css.

In Dynamic HTML Editor 2.0 there are no align=left in the div element...
This is an old attribute that I've copied from another (wrong) software...

quote:
Why does Dynamic HTML Editor change the name of the images.
For example when I insert an image called human.jpg Dynamic HTML Editor changes it to Picture1.jpg?

You can maintain the original name by fill the field "export name" but Dynamic HTML Editor rename the image because it is not the same image;
DHE create a small copy of the original image so it's not the same...

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

Martin1
Super User

Netherlands
626 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2004 :  10:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing up the images 'problem' I had!

As for the styles. Things might go OK but I thought you wanted to have pages validate according to the rules set up by w3c
quote:
Thank you for your help, version 2.0 already has these corrections :-)
and it will be W3C compliant...

If that is the case the way to set up a style is as follows:
<p style="font-size: 1em; color: blue;">
the last ; (semi colon) isn't neccesary but if you wanted to add a style (by hand) it's easy to forget it. This way you can't go wrong.
I am not entirely sure about the single or double quote ' vs " but as far as I can discover usually double quotes " are the rule.

Also, when referring to colors in hexadecimal format, the hash # ought to be included like so:
<p style="font-size: 1em; color: #ffffff;>

Since you are working on a new version and want to start selling the software it might be better to correct these things. The better the syntax the more people are likely to buy it.

Martin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000