[info] MBytes or Mbits?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barry Jones
Novice

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  08:26:50  Show Profile  Visit Barry Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm running perfmon 4.x on Windows 7 64bit. What a great tool!

My internet download speed reads 8,xxx. KB/s, which is 8 MB/s. Assuming upper case B means Bytes, that's 64 Mbits/s on a cable connection capped at 10 Mbits /sec.

Could KB (bytes) really mean Kb (bits)? Or did the bandwidth fairy pay me a visit?

Thanks

Barry Jones

T00N
Super User

573 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  08:39:54  Show Profile  Visit T00N's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Must be a typo
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  08:49:55  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Barry, they should really be "bytes" and NOT "bits"
Check your network configuration panel, if you are using "All" network interfaces the total amount of bandwidth is used so it may appear that the graph is wrong.
Let me know.

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

Barry Jones
Novice

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  00:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Barry Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aha! There's no other activity that I'm aware of, but when I set it to one of the wireless interfaces it reads 1300 KB, in the range of my 10 Mbit/s cap. I think I'd like to find out what the other activity is.

Thanks

Barry
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  08:46:35  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the meantime I'll do some tests in order to find if the real scale is bit or byte ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000