Over my head but necessary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skyborn
Practical

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  21:28:59  Show Profile  Visit skyborn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I know children should play in the sandbox, but...
I need to put username password boxes on my index.html page
for folk to login to their "personal publishing" page.
Can I do this using the forms menu, or do I have to go find some
kind of code somewhere to accomplish this? I am somewhat versed in
html, but wouldn't know a PHP from an XYZ.
Is there any HOPE?
Skyborn
ps, Not looking for any long explanation to eat up your time, just
point me in the right direction.
Thanks

joneq
Super User

433 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  21:48:32  Show Profile  Visit joneq's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll leave this, but it is most likely not going to work.. It is not for multi users..Probably because there is no database required

Do you have a database on your site?
Can you make one if you knew how?

Not that I am a mysql guru mind you, but I think you may need one if you want multiple users with different names and password to login to a protected page

-----------------------------------------------

looking around I see this---requires no database..

http://webscripts.softpedia.com/script/Authentication/Pretty-Good-Login-Script-41811.html

info here

http://www.basisbyte.de/index.php/en_pgls_detail

------------------------------------------------

demo login is

name= test

password= passwort not password thre is a t at the end not a d

http://www.basisbyte.de/pgls/demologin.php

Edited by - joneq on 06 Jul 2008 22:08:07
Go to Top of Page

skyborn
Practical

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  22:31:25  Show Profile  Visit skyborn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joneq
Thanks. I know I'm in over my head. 11 years ago I put together a site just using html. It is a simple site with about 35 pages and links on the index page leading to each separate article. I am a born again Baptist preacher and the site is called sounddoctrine.com
Now I got this idea to put up a site for unpublished authors to put up thier work online - E books. Registered the Domain "commonsensepublishers.com", got DHE and got to work. Now I discovered the learning curve is taking me into a black hole. It's not designing the page thats hard. DHE makes that easy. It's the user name password stuff, and setting up a secure page for each user. I am going to have to buy out all the website "dummy" books I can find on doing this stuff. It will be challenging but fun. Thanks for responding.
Skyborn
Go to Top of Page

joneq
Super User

433 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  00:39:20  Show Profile  Visit joneq's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welp--If it was me-- I would use this[2 links below]--It is ideal for what you want to do...Assuming,of course, no one has a dhe solution...I will make the assumption that you have php and mysql available. I can't find out if you have it with cheetah.host4u.net/. You do not need to know php or mysql...

With this set up you and your members [if you give them permission] do all your work/editing/writing from any computer or browser---you can use an text/html/wysiwyg editor if you want.I think there may be a problem with using dhe due to the unusual way it handles the css--I hope that gets fixed soon[?????]I would love to build a template with DHE and have it managed by a cms, but the css thing is too much trouble....

It is smf forum + Tiny Portal. This setup is a very nice forum + portal[website] that forms the basis for the website that is created by adding tiny portal to smf with a few clicks. It has the ultimate in permissions and works with articles very nicely. You assign members to groups and set permissions for that group or set permissions for specific members.

One mysql database is needed. If you have fantastico on you server smf is installed automatically and TP is a few clicks away.

There are plenty of themes available.. one has to suit you...

The support forum is extremely helpful and you will have no problem getting help...

The forum part can be as prominent as you wish or hidden completely and just the portal. There are a huge amount of addons for it and usually no php/mysql is needed by you although it is all about php...

It does not take long to get used to at all...

http://www.simplemachines.org/
http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php

the Tiny portal website is exactly that---- smf+tp + addons

Edited by - joneq on 07 Jul 2008 05:12:12
Go to Top of Page

s.dav
Site Admin

Italy
3364 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  09:09:49  Show Profile  Visit s.dav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@skyborn

I suspect you cannot manage these type of things in D.H.E.
You need a complete CMS system (try typing CMS on Google ;-))

http://www.phpbb.com/

D.H.E. can be useful in your case for creating articles to put into this CMS ;-)

Regards, Davide
Go to Top of Page

joneq
Super User

433 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  15:07:41  Show Profile  Visit joneq's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The combination of smf + tiny portal is not a bad cms at all.It is so much like a cms that it is often asked if it is one It would also allow the members to talk to eachother, share files, add image galleries.there is a shoutbox calendar

I have a site running it. It is just so i can post in the forum and ask for help---right now there are some errors in the forum but these do mot affect how it works. I will be taking it down pretty soon and put up another one...

www.therockpile.org.

I have set up a user account if anyone I know here wants to take a look inside pm me...

It does not look the same once you login
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Hexagora Forum © s.dav Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000